It’s normal for a teacher to have many student admirers at the same time. Out of respect and love some copy the teacher’s style, some the smile, and some others, the teacher’s file 😄
Nevertheless, a true admirer of that teacher is a student who readily follows the teacher’s discipline and teaching. The teacher and the student are fully aware of their lives being closely watched.
In the Scriptures we can see a similar case mentioned just like the above — People watched and followed Jesus and His twelve disciples carefully. They were eager to know more about the Master and His disciples. 📝: to call oneself a Christian means he/she needs to be a disciple of Christ.
QUALIFICATIONS OF A DISCIPLE:
1. A disciple needs to deny himself. Moses denied himself by forsaking his self-status. He chose to suffer with God’s people than enjoy the pleasures of Egypt(sin) for a season. Hebrews 11:25,26.
Jesus made Himself of no reputation, took upon Him the form of a servant and was made in the likeness of men. Philippians 2:7
2. Taking up the Cross – This means yielding to do the perfect will of God. Mark 8:34. A Cross ✝️ is made by crossing ‘I’(our will) with God’s will.
3. A disciple has to follow His Master daily. And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. Luke 9:23
4. He has to continue in the Master’s teachings – A disciple of Christ should not disobey the commandments/words of Jesus. This is possible only when we love Jesus. His commandments are not grievous. Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; John 8:31.
5. He has to bring the fruit/results of his learnings – The disciples of Jesus are expected to bring forth much fruit for their Master. Fruits worthy of repentance, fruit of righteousness, good fruit, etc.
6. He needs to love his fellows disciples – As Jesus loved us we ought to also love one another (bearing, enduring, forgiving…) As mentioned earlier all of this comes under Christ’s law of love and possible only through love.
7. He needs to suffer – This means beating the Cross and following Jesus each day. Mark 8:3; 9:23. Jesus endured the Cross and despised the shame because His eyes were on us — the joy that was set before Him.
In turn, we should also keep our eyes focused on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith and press forward in our lives. May God help us.
Be blessed 💕