When a person is baptised in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of unknown tongues, along comes 9 gifts in the Spirit as well. (1 Corinthians 12:8-10)
- the word of wisdom (Future Direction)
- the word of knowledge (Current state insight)
- the discerning of spirits (spiritual eyes open to view the work of evil spirit in a person’s life)
- the gift of faith (spiritual insight to trust in God for results, not own)
- the gifts of healing (spiritual strength to trust in God alone for complete healing)
- the working of miracles (visible supernatural acts)
- the gift of prophecy (word of edification, exhortation or comfort, sometimes warning)
- divers kinds of tongues (different languages)
- the interpretation of tongues (decipher unknown tongues)
Unknown tongues is the utterance given by God for personal edification (1 Cor 14:4) for all who are Baptised with the Holy Spirit.
When a person prays in unknown tongues, he is praying in the spirit (1 Cor 14:14).
We should never forbid anyone to speak in tongues (1 Cor 14:39).
Romans 8:26,27 reveals how by speaking in tongues is intercessory prayer for the believer because he does not know what to pray for all the time. The Holy Spirit brings utterances to intercede according to the will of God.
There are two ways to pray, with understanding and in the spirit (1 Corinthians 14:15).
To pray with understanding is normal prayer by using words understood in the language of the person. To pray in the spirit refers to praying in tongues, in the language of heaven by the utterances already given to a Spirit baptised person.
Some erroneously teach that unknown tongues is not necessary, and that God gives any one of these gifts to believers. Some even claim that it is already ceased.
It is true that false tongues are being practiced by many claiming to speak in tongues. Beware of such. By their fruits ye shall know them.