A simple definition of UNBELIEF is THE ABSENCE OF FAITH. It is also known as Doubt.
In the Scriptures, we see unbelief being quoted in different parts of the Old Testament and the New Testament as well. Because of unbelief, or in other words whosoever gave room for doubt were unable to enjoy complete deliverance from their problems. They were unable to receive God’s blessings in their lives. But yet, whosoever believed and acted upon their faith, were able to witness mighty wonders and miracles unfolding before them.
Let’s look at a few examples of people from the Scriptures who were unable to have complete faith on God because of unbelief:
- The Israelites were called to go into the Promised Land. But because of unbelief, they were unable to enter into the rest Hod had prepared for them. Hebrews 3:19.
- In the course of His ministry, once when Jesus went to Nazareth, He entered the synagogue to share the Word. The people there were astonished seeing Jesus preach and discuss things. They were unable to believe the wisdom and mighty works of Jesus. The Saviour couldn’t do much over there because of unbelief. Mathew 13:54-58.
- When we depart from the living God, an evil heart of unbelief begins to form inside of us. We need to be very careful about this. Hebrews 3:12.
- After the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, the eleven disciples could believe it was Jesus who appeared before them while they were reclining at the table. Jesus scolded them for their unbelief. Mark 16:14.
- The disciples were unable to cast out the devil from the child who was a lunatic because of unbelief. Mathew 17:19,20.
- Thomas, one of the twelve disciples, had to literally put his finger into the nail-scarred hands of Jesus to confirm whether it was really Jesus who was standing before him. John 20:25. It was because of his unbelief.
An Important Reminder: Unbelief is a sin which grieves God deeply. Often, even in our own lives, we are unable to fully trust God and His promises, His marvellous works of deliverance; that He will work for us if we believe and trust Him. How does faith come? Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. Romans 10:17. Therefore, God wants us to grow in faith by hearing His Word so that we finally reach unto the faith of the Son of God and attain His perfection in us.
May God help us.
Be blessed 💕