And he divided the three hundred men into three companies, and he put a trumpet in every man’s hand, with empty pitchers, and lamps within the pitchers. And he said unto them, Look on me, and do likewise: and, behold, when I come to the outside of the camp, it shall be that, as I do, so shall ye do. Judges 7:16-17
There are 3 important things mentioned here:
- Trumpet in every man’s hand
- Empty pitchers
- Lamps within the pitchers.
The story in brief: The Lord chose Gideon to fight for the Israelites against the Midianites. The Israelites had gone into captivity of the enemy because they had sinned against God. Now, being in the midst of slavery and bondage, the Israelites remembered God and called out for help; as an answer, God sent a prophet to strengthen them and chose Gideon to lead His people out of captivity. Judges 6:1-16.
After getting his confirmation from God, Gideon set out to gather an army to fight the Midianites. When God promises something, He delivers 100 percent. Gideon was asked to make an army of 300 men who were divided into three groups. Each group had the above mentioned things in their hands. In our lives, what do these represent?
1. Trumpet – Refers to having a life of prayer and reading the Word of God. We cannot fight the enemy with our own ability/strength. We need God’s strength for this. God will fight our battles, we just need to be still. Jesus, Daniel, Hezekiah, Moses —each of them had a life of prayer by which God did miracles.
Secondly, the Word of God also makes us perfect. Word of God is Word of Grace. Through His Word, God gives us victory over our enemies.
2. Empty Pitchers — This refers to our individual lives. Genesis 2:7. God made man out of the dust of the ground. And as a fact, man does not really have anything to boast about in his life. If at all there is, then it is purely God’s blessing, His Grace in their lives. However, every one who reminds himself of his own frame, tend to live a life of humility and acknowledgement to God.
But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand. Isaiah 64:8. An earthen vessel is breakable; may not last long. Our body is also an earthen vessel and it needs to be surrendered to be broken for the Lord (for the ministry). That is, using our strength to work for God. 1 Peter 4:1.
3. Lamps – This refers to living an exemplary life. A lamp is lighted not to be kept under a basket but upon a lamp stand. Our lives should be so full of Christ’s light that those straying away would see the light in us and be attracted to it. Our light should shine before others. Mathew 5:14-16.
There are 3 qualities the children of light need to have: 1 Thessalonians 5:8
- Breastplate of Faith
- Breastplate of Love
- Hope of Salvation
With the trumpet, empty pitchers and lamps within the pitchers, God helped Gideon and his men fight the Midianites and win a great victory over them. May God help us also to have them in our lives as well to fight every spiritual warfare that comes against us.
Be blessed 💕