For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. Ephesians 6:20
In a couple of places St.Paul reiterates the fact about being an ambassador in bonds or a prisoner of Jesus Christ. Who is an ambassador? An ambassador is an accredited diplomat sent by a state as its representative to a foreign country.
See, every child of God needs to understand that he/she is a heavenly citizen, sent by God as an emissary to whichever place on earth. This ambassador has to abide by the rules of his home country even though placed abroad.
Even a prisoner for that matter, as St.Paul refers himself to, needs to follow the prison rules — he cannot do anything as he wishes. His food, clothing, daily activities etc are all governed by principles set in the prison house. Similarly a follower of Jesus is bound by different kinds of bonds/cords – they are placed on him/her by Christ.
THE 7 KINDS OF BONDS ON US ARE:
1. Cords of Love – I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love:.. Hosea 11:4. The Lord placed this band on us to break all other unwanted bands (of hell, sickness, death) and be bound with Him alone.
2. Bound in the bundle of life – Here Abigail is saying that king David’s soul is bound in the bundle of life of the Lord. 1 Samuel 25:29. This means the Lord has bound our life on this earth with His. From this understand – how much He cares about us!
3. Bond of Peace – The unity of the Spirit is in the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:3. And this is the strength of the church. A three fold cord is not easily broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12. Peacemakers are known as the sons of God.
4. Charity which is the bond of perfectness – By forbearing and forgiving one another, this bond is perfected. Colossians 3:12-14.
5. Bond of Marriage – Christ is the husband of the church and she is married to Him. Revelation 19:7. The wife of Christ makes herself ready to meet Him at His coming. Till such time she needs to preserve herself in this law.
6. Bound to praise God always – We are asked to give thanks to God always for all of His benefits to us. It’s our duty to thank and praise God.
7. Bond of Suffering – St.Paul says he’s bound in the spirit to go to Jerusalem because he knew suffering awaited him there. Acts 20:22. This means being ready to do whatever the Holy Spirit desires of us to do.
May the Lord help us.
Be blessed 💕