Seek God while He may be found. Call upon Him while He is near. A time is coming when people will be desperate in their search for God. But they won’t find Him.
Something of this sort had happened to the Shulamite woman in the Song of songs. She is searching for her beloved in the night but is unable to find him.
Song of Songs 3:1,2 – By night on my bed I sought him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not. I will rise now, and go about the city in the streets, and in the broad ways I will seek him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not.
How did the Shulamite look for her beloved? Was she successful in finding him?
1. Song of Songs 3:2 – I will rise now, and go about the city in the streets… City is a place where people of all sorts live. Seeking Jesus as a gentile, according to the traditions of the world won’t help us find Him. But we repent, accept Him as our personal Saviour and forsake the world, we will find Him.
2. She sought for Him in the streets – Song of Songs 3:2. Streets refer to walking according to the course of this world. That is wanting Jesus on one hand and the world on the other. Without a life of separation and living according to the truth we cannot find Jesus. The Shulamite looked for her beloved in the streets and couldn’t find him.
From the Scriptures I want to show you other examples who like the Shulamite searched for their lover/Jesus among the dead, in the sepulchre, among kinsfolk and acquaintances, by vainly worshipping Christ.
- Seeking Jesus in the sepulchre – a place which is beautiful from outside but has dead people’s bones inside – Mathew 23:27. This refers to a life of hypocrisy. Having uncleanliness inside one cannot find Jesus in this way.
- Seeking Jesus among kinsfolk – Joseph and Mary began their journey with Jesus but lost Him midway. They looked for him among their relatives instead of going back to the temple. Knowing the truth if we are about to please people, we won’t find Jesus.
- Seeking Jesus by vainly worshipping Him. This refers to a worship by the lips and not from the heart. Their heart is far away from God. God wants us to worship Him in Spirit and in truth in the beauty of holiness.
FINALLY THE SHULAMITE FOUND HER LOVER.
Song of Songs 3:3,4 – The watchmen that go about the city found me: to whom I said, Saw ye him whom my soul loveth? It was but a little that I passed from them, but I found him whom my soul loveth: I held him, and would not let him go, until I had brought him into my mother’s house, and into the chamber of her that conceived me.
The watchmen refers to ministers who have fully separated themselves for God. Those who preach and teach us in our pursuit of seeking and finding Jesus. The Shulamite asked the watchmen about him and was successful in finding Him.
These are days when people are seeking for the truth. They want to know the purpose as to why they are on this earth. Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life – John 14:6. In the search for truth many are being deceived also because their pursuit of Him is in the wrong place. Seek and you will find Him.