In the previous post How Is Your State we learnt about the church of the Laodiceans who considered themselves as rich and not lacking in anything. But how their spiritual condition actually was, we find in Revelation 3:17,18.
Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
In verse 17, the Spirit of God is saying that the Laodiceans were ignorant of the fact that they were wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked. Therefore in verse 18, the Spirit of God is asking them to buy from Him,
- Gold tried in the fire
- White Raiment
- And anoint their eyes with eyesalve.
Let’s see what these mean:
1. Gold tried in the fire – According to the Word of God, Gold stands for faith. Fire refers to trials and temptations. To become precious, we have to go through various trials in life. Faith makes us rich. Job says in Job 23:10,
But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.
Job was not defeated in his trials, instead he came forth as PRECIOUS. Our faith has to be tried, then only can we come forth as gold. And we need to endure this trial of faith joyfully – 1 Peter 1:7. Apostle Peter tells here that the trial of our faith is much more precious than the gold that perishes away.
2. White Raiment – refers to a garment of holiness. Spiritually garment refers to our life. In Isaiah 64:6 it is mentioned – But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. Before God our righteousness is like filthy rags.
Therefore we must put on the righteousness of God. How? When we are saved, obey God by taking water baptism and receive the anointing of the Holy Spirit. The Anointing of the Holy Spirit is like a garment – Luke 24:49. To be caught up at the Coming of Jesus, we ought to be wearing the White Raiment.
3. Anoint the eyes with eyesalve – Refers to renewing our vision concerning Zion and New Jerusalem.
Finally, how then can we be rich?
- By Faith – James 2:5
- By Grace – Ephesians 1:7
- Through His Glory – Ephesians 3:16; 1:18
- Through Jesus – 2 Corinthians 8:9