For we are strangers before thee, and sojourners, as were all our fathers: our days on the earth are as a shadow, and there is none abiding.1 Chronicles 29:15
These were the words of King David – The Ruler of Israel. Even though a great king, he lived a highly devoted life towards God and his people. He very well knew that he was a stranger on earth.
In fact, not only King David, but even great stalwarts of the Old and New Testament – Abraham, Issac and Jacob, St.Paul and St.Peter reiterated the fact that they were pilgrims and strangers on earth as well.
Basically all those who live a humble and devoted life on earth, will confess that they are just a pilgrim here. God has called you and me for such a life.
9 BEAUTIFUL QUALITIES OF A STRANGER:
- A stranger, should live and feel like a stranger on earth. King David’s desire was to be a doorkeeper in the house of God than spend a thousand days elsewhere(Psalms 84:10).
- A stranger will set his affections on things above while on earth – He will not love the things of the world because he knows that under the sun everything is vanity.
- A stranger’s lifestyle is peculiar – His walk of life is by faith, and not by sight. (2 Cor 5:7). A stranger has his fellowship with God and walks in love one with another.
- Strangers have a strange speech – They do not speak like people of the world. Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: .. Ephesians 5:4. Even so God wants our speech to be seasoned with grace.
- Strangers have a pure language – These spend much time with God and serve Him with one consent. Once we were in lies; we spoke lies too. But after being saved, our words should be true and pure (Zephaniah 3:9)
- A stranger’s clothing is modest – Not being conformed to the ways and fashions of the world (Romans 12:2)
- Their laws are diverse (Esther 3:8) This was said about the Jews during Esther’s days. The Rechabites had peculiar laws too – they were very particular about following them. Our law is the law of love, which needs to be followed diligently.
- Their method of healing is by waiting on God. Jesus is our healer and we get our healing by believing in His Stripes, His Blood, His Word and His Presence.
- The expectation of a stranger is also strange – He knows that his body is temporal and so he waits patiently to put on an incorruptible body (2 Cor 5:1-3) This will happen either at his death or when Jesus would come again.
Be blessed 💕