O TASTE AND SEE THAT THE LORD IS GOOD – Psalms 34:8
Yes dear friend, you read that right!!
Jesus has to be tasted. Only then can it be known if He’s really good. People who have eaten Him, know how He tastes. He is good.
For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world – John 6:33. Jesus is the bread that came from heaven. We must have this bread to attain everlasting life.
The 5 Uses of this Bread:
1. John 6:48 – I am that bread of life. These are the words of Jesus to the people gathered in Capernaum. Those who eat this bread shall not die but have Eternal Life. This is why the Syrophenician woman in Mark 7:26-30 said that the crumbs that fell from the master’s table were enough for her – she had come to Jesus seeking healing for her child.
Romans 6:23 says the gift of God is Eternal Life through Jesus Christ. The Bread of Life has the Spirit of Life in it. Jesus is the Bread of Life and through Him we can have eternal love, eternal peace and eternal rest.
2. Psalms 104:15 – And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man’s heart.
God does not want our hearts to be weak. For this man’s heart needs to be strengthened with bread. Wine makes the heart joyful or glad. Therefore the joy of the Lord is our strength and He strengthens us with His joy. Even though St.Paul was in prison with his hands and feet tied to the stocks, still he sang praises to God because joy was in his heart.
The bread here stands for the Word of God. God desires that we should eat His Word everyday. Only then can we go from strength to strength and be renewed in our spirit.
3. Mathew 15:26 – But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs.
Children’s bread is only for children. Who are they? They are those that have a true confession and repentance in them. When our character changes and becomes like that of a child, we are worthy to have this bread. Children’s bread refers to the doctrine of divine healing.
A little child has no fear because it has full trust on its parents. Similarly we should also have complete trust upon God as a little child. Jesus has promised good health for us when we go to Him for healing – Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. 1 Peter 2:24. The syrophenician woman compared herself to a dog. She humbled herself. She was also reinforcing the fact that God was faithful to heal her daughter.
4. 1 kings 19:6,8 – And he looked, and, behold, there was a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink, and laid him down again.
And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God.
Elijah was given bread. But he ate and went to sleep. He gave room for discouragement. Becoming discouraged means not being found in the first love.The bread here refers to the revelations we receive from God.
Often we are like Elijah too. God speaks to us and we do hear Him. And even after chewing upon those revelations, we are unable to live accordingly. But when the angel of God came and touched Elijah the second time, he ate the bread and ran for 40 days and nights. He ran till Mount Horeb – the mount of God. Similarly when we have this bread we get the strength to run our race till the end.
5. Luke 24:30,31 – And it came to pass, as he sat at the table with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them. And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
Jesus blessed the bread and broke it for us. This bread is His body which was broken for us so that through Him we become partakers of Eternal Life. Breaking the bread refers to the fellowship we have with Jesus – through His suffering.
Fellowship with God is very essential for believers. We get ready for His coming through this. Therefore let’s desire to have this bread each day so that we are strengthened in our spirit, soul and body.