The worldly claim that perfection is impossible. The word of God declares differently. We belong to God and only the godly understand correctly what perfection means. Is it possible for man to be perfect? To have a perfect heart?
God is perfect; A perfect heart belongs to God
- God is perfect (2 Samuel 22:31)
- Jesus revealed how to be perfect (1 Peter 2:22)
- The Holy Spirit is given to us to be perfect (2 Corinthians 7:1)
God desires we be perfect like Him (Matthew 5:48) (2 Timothy 3:17)
We cannot be perfect on our own.
God makes us perfect (2 Samuel 22:33) (1 Peter 5:10)
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. (James 1:17)
What is the criteria for perfection to be found in our lives?
- Noah had a perfect heart because he followed God (Genesis 6:9)
- Job was perfect because he walked in the fear of 2 and eschewed evil!. (Job 1:2)
- Asa’s heart was perfect before the Lord because he followed God. (1 Kings 15:14)
- David’s heart was perfect before the Lord.
When is the heart imperfect according to God?
- Solomon entertained his wives and ended worshipping other gods, going against the word of God (1 Kings 11:4)
- Amaziah bowed before other gods. (2 Chronicles 25:2,14)
- Anointed cherub fell because he remained sinful. His heart was proud, he wanted to be god. (Ezekiel 28:15)
We are made perfect in and through Jesus who is perfect.
“And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;” (Hebrews 5:9)
“Let your heart therefore be perfect with the Lord our God, to walk in his statutes, and to keep his commandments, as at this day.” (1 Kings 8:61)