We find many examples in the Word of God who were blessed because they feared God. Fearing God does not mean to be afraid of God or being scared of Him. The Fear of the Lord is clean. This fear is out of love for Him. It is out of respect and love for Him for who He is. Jesus said, ‘If ye love me keep my commandments‘. (John 14:15) When there is love in our hearts for Jesus, we will make sure that we don’t displease Him in anyway.
Old Testament saints like Job, Abraham and many others loved God – their works and words prove it. Job spoke the right thing because he feared God. (Job 42:7,8) Abraham did not hesitate to offer his only son Isaac because he feared God. He knew whom he believed. God gives testimony about Abraham – Genesis 22:12.
Let’s go on to see the blessings in store for us by having the Fear of God.
1. Psalms 34:7 – The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear God and delivers them. This psalm was written by David when he was running for his life from Saul. A similar thing happened with Daniel in the den of lions (Daniel 6:22) Daniel feared God, so God sent His angel and shut the lions mouth.
2. Psalms 34:9 – There is no want to them that fear Him. In the middle of all his wants, David could taste God as an all-fulfilling God (Psalms 23:1) For Abraham, God was Jehovah-Jireh by fulfilling the need of a ram for sacrifice, in the place of his son Isaac.
3. Psalms 103:13 – When we fear the Lord, He shows His pity upon us. Pity comes out of love. In Jeremiah 31:20, God is showing His pity to Ephraim. Even though there were mistakes with Ephraim, still the Lord earnestly remembers him and has mercy on him.
4. Psalms 111:5 – He will give meat to them that fear Him. The Lord will give us His bread/His Word, when we fear Him. ‘Meat’ can be taken in two ways:-
- Doing the will of God – Jesus’ meat was doing His Father’s will (John 4:34)
- Healing – Mathew 15:26-28 Jesus’ conversation with the Caananite woman regarding her daughter’s healing.
5. Psalms 145:19 – When we fear Him, He will fulfill our desires. Desire for things above, which cannot be eaten by rust or moth. That is what the psalmist desired in Psalms 27:4. His desire was to dwell in the house of the Lord for all the days of his life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to enquire in His temple. If we delight ourselves in the Lord, He will fulfill our desires of our heart (Psalms 37:4)
6. Psalms 31:19 – Goodness is laid up for them who fear Him. In (Psalms 68:19), He loads us with blessings.
7. Psalms 60:4 – He gives His banner to them who fear Him. This banner is the Banner of Love (Song of songs 2:4) He will bring us to the banqueting house and satisfy us with His love.
8. Proverbs 10:27 – The fear of the Lord prolongeth days. Sin shortens the lifespan of man, but he who fears God goes on to live his full life. The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life (Proverbs 14:27).
9. Isaiah 33:6 – Fear of the Lord is His treasure. A treasure is something which is very valuable. It is not out there in the open. It is preserved and kept in a secret place. Nobody would want to lose it. That is why the Fear of the Lord is rare and found in them who really love Him.
Therefore, fear God and keep His commandments; for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13