Hi friends! 👋🏻
Here we are!! Getting to understand the second part of why the tongue is dangerous. Also, if left unchecked, how the tongue can be a great danger and hinder our spiritual growth.
I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me. Psalms 39:1
1. Malicious Words – III John 10. Malicious words are spiteful words, intended to do only harm to others. In this verse, apostle John mentions about a man named Diotrephes. He was causing division in the church by speaking malicious words into the other believers and dividing them from the ministers. Hatred breeds more hatred. It has never helped.
2. Lying Words – Because they have committed villany in Israel, and have committed adultery with their neighbours’ wives, and have spoken lying words in my name, which I have not commanded them; even I know, and am a witness, saith the Lord. Jeremiah 29:23. “Lying words in my name” refers to prophesying what God did not speak and that too in His. Name. Scripture says, all liars will have their part in the lake of fire. Revelation 21:8.
3. Wounding Words – The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly. Proverbs 18:8. Some use their tongue as a razor, as a weapon, to hurt and bleed others. However, God wants His children to speak words that render grace to their hearers.
4. Filthy, Jesting Words – Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. Ephesians 5:4. St.Paul is exhorting the Ephesian church against foolish talking and jesting because God dislikes anything that has got to do with this.
5. Idle Word – But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. Matthew 12:36.
6. Calling a brother, you-good-for-nothing – But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘ You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell. Matthew 5:22.
7. Unclean Words – Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts. Isaiah 6:5. Here prophet Isaiah is repenting and crying before God for all the unclean words he spoke. Soon after he repents we see a Seraph flying towards him with a live coal and cleansing his mouth.
8. No offensive word – For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. James 3:2.
May the Lord help us! ❤️