When someone thinks of quitting, friends say ‘Hold On bro’. For a child of God there is a ‘holding on’ too. What should he/she hold on to? To that which is good.
‘Prove all things; Hold fast that which is good’ [1 Thessalonians 5:21]
Deception is on the rise. Sin is increasing. So many deaths happening worldwide. Love of God is waxing cold in many hearts. The world is becoming a darker, colder place slowly as each day goes on. Amongst all of this the coming of Jesus also draws near. How can we Hold fast to that which is good and get ready to fly away when Jesus comes?
Here are a list of 7 things to Hold On :-
1. We should hold fast to the commandments of God – Why? To get salvation. To get blessings from God. We should not live according to the traditions of men. Acts 17:30 says,
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
2. We should hold fast righteousness – Not to our own righteousness but the righteousness of God. God’s righteousness is of love. Our righteousness are as filthy rags – Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
3. We must hold fast to sound doctrine – 2 Timothy 1:13
Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
There are many erroneous doctrines being preached these days. Many are confused as to which church to go. We must to go to the church which teaches us the Word of God as it is.
4. We must take hold of instruction – Proverbs 4:13 says,
Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
King Rehoboam rejected the counsel given to him by the old men in his kingdom – 1 Kings 12:8. Instruction leads us to perfection and ready to meet Jesus.
5. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good- 1 Thessalonians 5:21. What is this ‘good’? To do justly, to love mercy and walk humbly with God.
6. Hold fast to faith and good conscience – 1 Timothy 1:19 – Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck. We must have a pure heart to preserve good conscience. And the mystery of faith is kept in a good conscience.
7. We must lay hold on Eternal Life – 1 Timothy 6:12 says,
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
Eternal Life is the final salvation. We should walk worthy of the calling by which God has called us.