So here we are again understanding the reasons behind why many of our prayers go unanswered. Check 12 Reasons – God Not Answering Your Prayers (Part-1) for the first 6 reasons of unanswered prayers. Let’s look at what the other reasons are:
7. In Isaiah 1:15 we see – And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.
Hands refer to our works. If our works are not right in God’s sight, He will not hear our prayers. In 1John 3:15 it is mentioned Whoso hateth his brother is a murderer. A murderer is someone who sheds blood. Hence, God won’t listen to the prayer of someone who sheds blood, that is, one who hates his brother.
In 1 Samuel 18:9-11 Saul wanted to kill David because he gave room for hatred in his heart. When people hate is, we shouldn’t hate them back but show love.
8. Zechariah 7:12,13 – Yea, they made their hearts as an adamant stone, lest they should hear the law, and the words which the Lord of hosts hath sent in his spirit by the former prophets: therefore came a great wrath from the Lord of hosts. Therefore it is come to pass, that as he cried, and they would not hear; so they cried, and I would not hear, saith the Lord of hosts:
They gave room for stubbornness. Therefore, God did not hear their prayers. Making the heart as an adamant stone refers to giving room for vanity in our lives.
In Ephesians 4:17,18, St. Paul says This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: A hardened heart will make a person to desire name, fame, position etc. God won’t hear such prayers.
9. If we give room for doubt in our hearts the Lord will not hear us. That’s what is mentioned in James 1:6,7 – But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
We should have the confidence that God will hear us and not come to His Presence with doubt – if He would hear us or not. 1 Timothy 2:8 – I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
10. James 4:3 says, Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. Our prayers should not be with a wrong motive. That is, it should not be a selfish prayer. Many prayers go unanswered because we pray more for ourselves and less for others.
11. If we forgive others their trespasses, God will forgive us our trespasses and answer our prayers. Mathew 6:14,15 – For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
If an unforgiving spirit is there in us, in God’s sight every such person is a sinner. The Lord is forgiving us always. Mathew 18;34,35 – And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.
12. 1 John 5:14 – And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: The opposite of this is – if we don’t ask according to His will, He won’t hear us. So we should know and do His will. Then surely our prayers will be answered.